Image Map

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Color Run Las Vegas!

Today I ran my first 5k!  We made a (really quick) trip up to Vegas, and left London with Dan's parents.  (Thanks so much for watching her!)  It was our first night away from her, and it was a bit harder than I thought it would be.  But it was also nice to have some time alone together.

Dan and I have made the drive up the I-15 quite a few times since we've been together, and there are a few tourist traps we still have yet to try.  But we can now cross off Alien Fresh Jerky.

They had a MILLION flavors.  We sampled the honey teriyaki and decided to go with it.

 I spotted some otherworldly visitors stopping to try the universe's best jerky.

Once we got to Vegas, we enjoyed a night out on the town.  We bypassed fancy joints and buffets for a Midwest/East Coast staple that was one of my high school favorites: Steak'N'Shake.  Dan wasn't that wild about it, but maybe that's because of the 30 minute wait it took to get in.  However, I think I converted him to Side-by-Side shakes.  We shared a chocolate/banana one.  Pictured here:

Sooo many good high school flash backs occurred throughout this meal.  After dinner we headed to our hotel to rest up for the race.

Next morning I woke up bright and early to check in to The Happiest 5K on the Planet.  Our hotel was only two blocks away, so I figured I would just walk over and Dan would meet up with me before the race started.  I got a little confused direction-wise (no surprises there...), and started walking the wrong way.  Before I realized I was going the wrong way, these big gangster guys across the street at a bus stop started yelling at me, "Hey, girl, come here!  Come over here!" I just shook my head and said, "No thank you!" and kept walking.  Apparently they didn't like that, because then they got really scary.  One of them stood up and started yelling at me.  I tried to ignore it, but if I'm honest I was getting pretty scared at this point, so I called Dan and told him he had to come with me.  I also ran into some other guys that told me that would stay with me until I made it back to the hotel to make sure those scary gangster guys didn't try anything more than yelling at me.  Fortunately I made it back, and maybe I am being silly and paranoid, but it was seriously so terrifying to me.  Anyways, I got back to the hotel and picked up Dan, then we started walking in the right direction, and I got all my fancy race gear sorted out and met with my teammates.




We then stood around and waited to reach the start line.  They let everyone go in waves, and after an hour it was finally our turn!!!  This was seriously a blast!  I hate running, but this was the most fun I've had in a long time.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Annika attacked me at the end.




And here we are after crossing the finish line.  Such a great feeling! Thanks for doing it with me Annika, you're a champ!!

With much practice, you too can be attractive as us.




This is the face of triumph.
Sooo who wants to do another one with me? ;)

4 comments:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

So proud of you! No small feat after a bebe.

I hate running too, but am trying to get back into it. Turns out new sports bras really help a lot.

I have introduced all of our friends from out west to steak-n-shake...I love their fudge brownie shake and ALL of their burgers.

You have way too may "hey girl" run-ins. I just recently went to a women's self-defense class and it definitely made me feel more secure. I also bought a stun gun that doubles as a flashlight for $40.

Paige Taylor Evans said...

I'm so glad you went and finished it! The colors look awesome! I'm impressed, I still don't think I could run around the block...

Robyn Carr said...

Way to go Lauren! So proud of you. And I will run a race with you anytime:)

robertandsharon said...

So excited that you ran this 5K....sounds like you had a great time. I guess you ARE your mother's daughter!