My five favorite novels, in no particular order (and list is subject to change):
1. The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd. I mean, seriously! Does it get any better than this? Sue Monk Kidd's style of writing is poetic and lush, in a way hardly any books are these days. The story is moving, the characters real, and you laugh almost as much as you cry. This is how I wish I could write.
2. Mister Pip, Lloyd Jones. Just read it.
3. Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling. Any of them. J.K. Rowling is a flippin' genius. (Feel free to buy the box set for me!)
4. Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights, Charlotte Bronte and Emily Bronte, respectively. The Brontes: you love 'em or you hate 'em. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.
5. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou. The title alone gives me chills.
It feels wrong that the list is this short, but it said five, and I technically already listed twelve. Novels are seriously the best thing to come out of the 18th century. (Which is about when they came into being, if memory serves me correctly. And just trust me when I say we've come a long way with that art form.)
30 Days of Blogging.