Image Map

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Gettin' my craft on.

Those of you who know me well know that I am not a crafter.  I've always struggled when it comes to scissors, glue, and especially sewing machines.  So when I tell you that these two lovely wreaths I made are simple, I really, really mean it.  Like, they couldn't be easier.  And they're also way cheaper than if you were to buy something similar at the store, and I'm not even embarrassed to hang them up.  AND I've even gotten compliments on them!  I bet you're so excited to learn about them.

Wreath #1
 My inspiration for this was found via Pinterest.  However, the wreath it linked to wasn't a how-to, but one which I could purchase on Etsy for 40 buckaroos, if I so desired.  I did not desire, because I figured I could probably make something pretty darn similar for much less moolah.  This wreath is the easiest thing ever to make.  I didn't take how-to pictures because I made this around 11 PM one night while Dan was out of town last week and I couldn't sleep.  But here are some instructions if you're interested.

What you will need:
  • A wreath form.  I used a straw one because it was cheaper than the styrofoam/wire ones, and it gives the wreath more of a harvest feel, which is autumn-appropriate.  The straw wreath was $3 or $4 at Jo-Ann's.
  • Tulle.  I bought about a yard each in different Fall colors.  Each yard was $1.99.  I used almost all of it to make this wreath.  If you'd like a fuller wreath, I'd recommend getting more.  
  • Seasonal embellishment.  I saw the leaves and berries in the clearance pile at Michael's.  89 cents!  Yay!
  • Ribbon.  I got this awesome Fall-themed ribbon at Michael's, also on sale.  It was a dollar.
Total cost: $13 and one hour of my time.  Much better than $40.

How to:
  1. Cut your tulle into strips, about six inches.  I wasn't really stressed out about getting them perfect, so some are wider than others.  I cut my strips lengthwise and then folded them in half, to make the wreath a little fuller.  But really you can make your strips however you'd like.  I won't judge you.
  2. Tie the strips onto the wreath.  I decide to do mine in a pattern, alternating the lighter and darker colors: brown, orange, purple, gold.
  3. Add your embellishment.  I just stuck the stem of the leaves through the tulle.  Feel free to hot glue if that's a better option for you.
  4. Tie on ribbon to hang.
My door can now keep up with the Joneses.  I'm pretty sure everyone in our building has a cute wreath on their door for every month.  I can't have a bare door!
P.S.  One more thing I like about this wreath: you could make one for any time of the year, just change out colors of tulle.  I have a friend at work that is thinking about making one for Christmas.  

My next wreath was also super simple.  I have a link to a how-to here.



I followed that how-to pretty closely, except I decided not to dye my coffee filters in tea, because I figured if I kept this wreath white, it could change seasons.  I used the leftover tulle from my last wreath as a little embellishment.  It's just stuffed in there with the coffee filters, no glue.  That way I can pull them out and use something different for Christmas, winter, maybe even spring?? We'll see.  I like this wreath because I made it baby size.  It's so cute.  I also like that it took me less than an hour to make, with no frustrations involved!

So there you have it, my progressing homemaking skills.  I'm practically a prodigy.

Also, before I go, I just wanted to give a shout-out to my Grammie!  Remember those shoes I was pining for in my last post?  My grandmother sent me a check in the mail so I could get them!  Isn't she a doll?? And aren't these shoes gorgeous??
  
Thanks Grammie-girl!

P.S. I'm getting more and more excited for this holiday season, we'll be traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year!  Fun times!

5 comments:

Lyse said...

Adorable! I love love love your shoes. I wish my grandmother blogstalked me and sent me checks in the mail!

Robyn Carr said...

Sweet wreaths and sweet shoes! You must be loved :) So looking forward to your coming- we are going to have such fun- and may need to put the craft corner to use while Dan golfs with dad!

robertandsharon said...

The shoes look adorable and you are turning into such a crafty girl! The wreaths are so cute...I used to be crafty but now I just buy a new door decoration for each month. I have enough now that I just have to remember where I stored them so I can change them out every month. Such fun...

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

Okay, first of all...look at yours legs! You should feel proud that you are pregnant and yours legs look that good. You have an extremely sweet grammy!

I love the colors in the first wreath :)

Robyn Carr said...

she has her mother's bird legs :)