Image Map

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Soaking up a little culture.

I have wanted to go to the Getty Museum forever.  Yesterday I was finally able to make that trip with my friend Mandy.

Here are a few reasons why the Getty is wonderful:
It's free.  It costs $15 to park, but split that between everyone in the car, and this may be one of the cheapest outings ever.
There is something for everyone.  The Getty is an art museum, housing art with a time span stretching from 800-present time.  You like modern art that pushes boundaries and makes you rethink what makes art?  You're golden.  You want to soak up history and pore over Medieval illuminated manuscripts?  You're golden.  You love Impressionist paintings?  You're golden.  Renaissance masters?  Golden.  Interior decor from Neoclassical and Rococo designs?  Golden.  P.S. The Neoclassical and Rococo interiors were my favorite.  Maybe I'm a nerd, but I'm a classy nerd, dang-it.

If you have kids, the Getty is incredibly family friendly.  There are audio tours for  your kids, a room dedicated to children activities, a children's store, and my personal favorite, a "sketching gallery" full of artwork of the masters and little kid-size easels so they can make their own souvenir. 
Say you're not really that into art, but your significant other dragged you to this dang art museum.  You could enjoy the spectacular views of the surrounding valley, the Pacific Ocean, or maybe just a stroll around the garden.

It was clear earlier in the day and we could see all the way to the Pacific.  Beautiful.


I realize this is starting to read something like an advertisement.  No, the Getty is not sponsoring this blog (although that would be awesome).  But maybe I'd like to go again sometime and maybe you can join me.

A little randomness: One of my favorite moments was browsing through some Medieval religious paintings and realizing I was staring at a depiction of a beheading.  Blood gushing from an ancient Pope's neck, his head rolling on the ground, halo and all.  I wish I'd thought to take a picture of it, but I was too busy laughing.  How's that for worship artwork?

The clouds started rolling in later in the afternoon, but they made the mountains look gorgeous.  Also, say hi to downtown LA.

I only have two complaints about the Getty.  First off, my chicken burrito from the coffee cart was a little dry.  Don't get that.  Get something more delicious, or just pack a picnic.
When we were viewing the Medieval and Renaissance art, people were snapping pictures right and left (no flash, obviously).  Then, in a modern art exhibit, I tried to take a picture of this really neat sculpture.  P.S. This sculpture was constructed out of garbage.  Garbage.  It was cool, but let me be clear, the artist used materials found from a dump.  I pulled out my camera to take a picture and share it with you....but the docent stopped me because apparently we couldn't take pictures of the dumpster art.  I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation as to why, but I mean come on.  Does anyone else see the irony of this, or am I really that uncultured?

One last thing, Mandy and I didn't realize how HUGE the Getty is.  It's multiple buildings and involves lots of stair climbing.  We're both pregnant and had to take lots of snack/potty/rest breaks, and I'd assume if you went with kids it'd probably be the same.  Just be prepared for it to take most of your day, and to be potentially exhausting if you want to see everything.  Still worth it.

All in all, the Getty is a great experience, and I can't wait to go back. Maybe next time I'll remember to take more pictures.  But only in the exhibits which I am allowed to do so.

P.S. I hope everyone had a wonderful time celebrating Veteran's Day AND 11-11-11 yesterday!

1 comment:

Robyn Carr said...

sounds great! You need to get Aunt Cheryl to go with you- she is an art freak! :) Do you remember the time I dragged you all to the Museum of Art in Balboa Park when Ti was a baby? Yeah, that was not my most brilliant ideas to go it alone with all 4, however, someof the culture must have rubbed off :)